Monday, November 5, 2007

If you think there is no God, You better be right

There is one of those replaceable-letters billboards at an intersection in my town and it always has some Christian faith based message up for drivers as they pass. This message has been up for the past week or so since I’ve been home and I can’t help but notice it every time I take that road.

This message is definitely frightening because it makes you question what really is out there after this life. If you are not a “believer” and live just for this life with no expectations for anything afterwards, you might be fucked if it turns out there is a god who is pissed that you lived the dream despite his/her/its warnings.

However much I agree with this statement, I feel it could also be written the opposite way, ‘If you think there is a God you better be right’. I think of all the people that try so hard to live their lives in accordance with how their religion tells them to in hopes of being rewarded in the next life. How pissed would they be that they gave up so much of their lives for this “after-life” that wasn’t at all what they had been promised.

1 comment:

Mike Rotch said...

The flaw in that argument is I can't just suddenly make myself believe in god, for security or convenience or whatever, if I don't sincerely believe there is one. I can say I believe in it and go to church, but it won't change what I know I believe in my mind. And even if you agree with the statement, there's more than one religion that will damn you to hell for not believing. You should go tell the pastor in that church "thanks for inspiring me to become a Muslim."